Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technician
Program Consumer Information
MTTI's HVAC/R program is now recognized and approved at the RI State Apprenticeship Council and the RI Department of Labor & Training for Pipefitting and Refrigeration related training.
Looking for hands-on training to begin a career that can't be outsourced?
Students completing the Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Technician program will be prepared for entry-level position installing, maintaining and repairing HVAC/R equipment. Graduates of the HVAC/R Technician program are prepared for the following recognized occupations (as defined by SOC and O*NET–SOC codes, which are used by workforce professionals to create job orders):
2010 SOC Codes
49-9021.00 Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
2010 O*NET SOC Codes
- 49-9021.01 Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- 49-9021.02 Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
For a description of each category, please go to: http://online.onetcenter.org/crosswalk/
Graduation and Employment Rates
Accredited Career and Technical Schools are held to high standards of graduation and employment. We calculate on-time program completion and employment according to the formula established by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
The ACCSC sets as a benchmark a minimum of 68% training related employment for each program each year. We strive to meet and exceed this benchmark for every program each year.
MTTI’s goal is education for employment. We assist each graduate for as long as they are interested in and willing to seek employment; therefore the employment numbers and percentages are not necessarily final. As graduates continue to seek work and enter into employment, employment percentages can increase.
We recognize there are many reasons that a graduate might not go into program-related employment directly after school. MTTI counts as employed only those graduates whose employment can be verified in occupations related to the program of study. We do not count as employed those graduates who choose not to obtain employment at this time, or who remain in or return to their past (non-training-related jobs).
In calculating employment percentages, we can remove from the total count, graduates* who:
- Pursue additional education at another school (and are not working)
- Enter the military (unless they accept program-related work within the military)*
- Are unable to work while ill or injured
* Verified by death certificate, physician's note confirming permanent or long-term disability, documentation of military service or proof of continuing education.
MTTI is proud of our many successfully employed graduates. To learn how we prepare students for successful employment, please see the HVAC/R Technician program page and also read our graduates’ Success Stories.
Program Year 2014-2015* [*This report is a "snapshot" of all students who entered, graduated and were employed during the program year]
- 56 students graduated; 51 students were hired. The employment rate for the HVAC/R program for the program year 2014-2015 is 91%.
* According to ACCSC standards, graduation and employment rates are reported behind the current program year, to give graduates time to obtain employment.
On-time Completion Rate
The on-time completion rate is the number of students who completed the program with in the normal time during each program year. Because the rate is calculated based on the date originally scheduled for completion, the on-time completion rate will be affected by:
- Class cancellations due to inclement weather
- Students who successfully graduate after taking a Leave-of-Absence (LOA) due to documented medical issues or a death in the family, etc.
- Students who transferred to a part-time program and subsequently graduated
On-time Completion Rate Current Program Year: 2014-2015
Of 52 students, 47 graduated, resulting in a 90% graduation rate. Of the 47 students that graduated, 27 completed on-time. Therefore, the on-time completion rate for the HVAC/R Technician program for the program year 2014-2015 is 57%.
Cost for the HVAC/R Technician Program
The tuition, supplies and fees for this program during 2016-2017* are:
- $50 for the Application Fee
- $100 for Textbooks/Supplies
- $16,350 for Tuition
*NOTE: According to the Gainful Employment regulations, the GE chart reports tuition and books/supplies for 2014-2015. The 2016-2017 costs shown above are the ones currently in effect for incoming students.
Median Loan Debt
The median loan debt incurred by students who will complete the HVAC/R Technician program is broken down into several categories. The median loan debt for 2014-2015 is:
- The Title IV loan debt (amount borrowed) is $9500.00
- The private education loan debt (amount borrowed) is $0
- The amount owed on MTTI institutional finance plans is $0